Human Resources Management
Policy and Basic Approach
Corporations today are questioned about how they can contribute to building a sustainable society. The Mitsui Chemicals Group is committed to creating the values that society requires, and the key to achieve this is human resources. Valuing individual employees is also important so that the company and employees each inspire the other on an equal relationship to create a better future together. Aiming to realize this, we set the simultaneous goals of “Sustainable growth of the Mitsui Chemicals Group” and “The happiness and self-fulfillment of our employees.” We plan to build an organization that always keeps learning and pushing its boundaries, driven by the full exertion of individual employees’ potential abilities. In this way, we will create our long-term competence.
The Mitsui Chemicals Group set out its Human Resources Management Policy to demonstrate its approach to both employees and stakeholders. Based on the Action Guidelines, this Policy states our principles which are positioned and applied as the foundation of human resources measures across the entire Group. The Human Resources Management Policy is disseminated across the Group in Japanese, English, and Chinese.
Human Resources Management Policy of the Mitsui Chemicals Group
1. "Always Act in Good Faith"
- The Mitsui Chemicals Group will require employees to "act in good faith" as stipulated in "The Action Guidelines," highly appreciate such employees and offer an appropriate environment for them to give full rein to their strengths.
- Mitsui Chemicals will comply with all labor and employment laws wherever it operates.
- Mitsui Chemicals will disclose its rules and operate fairly and with justice according to the rules regarding recruiting, assignment, training, evaluation and compensation of employees without any discrimination against gender, race, nationality, age, religion and disabilities.
2. "Maintain a High Regard for People and Society"
- Mitsui Chemicals will require employees to "have a high regard for people and society" as stipulated in "The Action Guidelines," highly appreciate such employees and offer an appropriate environment for them to give full rein to their strengths.
- Mitsui Chemicals will protect employees' safety and health in the workplace.
- Mitsui Chemicals does not tolerate any form of harassment, and in turn supports and respects the protection of human rights.
3. "Dream-inspiring Innovation"
- Mitsui Chemicals will require employees to have the following attitudes and engage in certain behavior in order to pursue the dream-inspiring innovation as stipulated in "The Action Guidelines," highly appreciate such employees and offer an appropriate environment for them to give full rein to their strengths:
- To take on challenges unflinchingly with full trust in our potential without fear of failure.
- To create novel value by enhancing our sensitivity.
- To consider and act proactively based on the actual data and facts at the workplace.
- To aim to be world-class professionals with a global view.
- To develop the future generation by passing on our experiences and technologies.
- To integrate individual strengths into the organization through active communication.
We established Core Values* as leading action guidelines to capture the spirit of all employees working at Mitsui Chemicals Group sites all around the world and to act as a unifying force, ensuring that we are all working toward the same goals. The “spirit of challenge," “respect for diversity," and “teamwork" established in the Action Guidelines are each connected to the three core values of Challenge, Diversity, and One Team.
4. Mitsui Chemicals, based on the aforementioned, will conduct Human Resources Practices under the following policies:
This table is scrollable.
|Toward sustainable growth of the Mitsui Chemicals Group|
|Organization||We flexibly design and form organizations to achieve our management and business strategies, appropriately allocating jobs (positions).|
|Recruiting||We employ human resources with diverse expertise and values who can contribute to the sustainable development of the organization.|
|Assignment||We actively employ human resources who have high potential to achieve fruitful results (the right person in the right position).|
|Human Development||With a long-term perspective, we develop global experts and managerial human resources.|
|Evaluation||We appropriately evaluate each individual’s achievement and encourage their further growth through timely feedback.|
|We aim to achieve a competitive compensation standard in the global market.|
|Toward the happiness and self-fulfillment of employees|
|Organization||We form organizations and allocate people to make the best of each individuals’ motivation, competency, and capability.|
|Recruiting||We offer job opportunities equally to individuals who have the work motivation, capability, and diverse values sought by the Group.|
|Assignment||We allocate employees to maximize their motivation, career ambitions, and expertise.|
|Human Development||We offer various constructive training opportunities to develop employees’ expertise and management literacy globally, and support their self-reliant career development.|
|Evaluation||We evaluate employees in a fair and objective manner to enhance their motivation and capabilities.|
|We aim to achieve a competitive compensation standard in the global market to secure motivated and capable human resources.|
We also strive not to violate minimum wage regulations and working hours regulations on the basis of the laws and regulations stipulated by each country and region.
Core value is to capture the spirit of all employees working at the Mitsui Chemicals Group sites across the world and to act as a unifying force, ensuring that we are all working toward the same goals.
|Challenge||To encourage employees to challenge the status quo actively and openly.|
|Diversity||To learn about the cultures and histories of others to deepen understanding of each person’s personality and ethnicity and make the most of this understanding for Mitsui Chemicals Group’s growth.|
|One Team||To unite our minds and efforts regardless of different positions, generations, genders, nationalities, organizations, and regions.|
System and Responsible Officers
The Managing Executive Officer of the Human Resources (HR) Division is responsible for creating the global Group-wide HR strategy and leading the HR measures. The HR Division plays a central role in creating the HR strategy corresponding to the long-term business plan and the HR measures required to address priority issues. The measures critical to business are discussed by the Company-wide and divisional Key Talent Management Committees. The Key Talent Management Committees develop future management candidates, as stipulated by the Management Committee and detailed in the Corporate Governance Guidelines. The measures are shared and implemented by the management and HR department in each business site, domestic and overseas subsidiary, and affiliates. HR managers in the business sites, domestic and overseas subsidiaries, and affiliates, and HR managers from the overseas regional headquarters periodically share and discuss the progress of such measures, and draft and implement related plans.
Furthermore, in order to draft and implement the global Group-wide HR strategies/policies, the Mitsui Chemicals Group has established the HR Development Advisory Committee (HRDAC), a virtual global HR organization under the general manager of the Global HR Division that incorporates our HR managers together in Japan, Europe, the Americas and Asia. This organization is addressing a range of issues, such as (1) talent management, (2) employer branding (HR recruit marketing), (3) global mobility (strategic personnel change across the countries and companies), (4) global compensation/evaluation systems, and (5) global HRIS*.
* HRIS (Human Resources Information System):
A data management system for human resources, including core human resources.
Human Resources Management System
*1CoE (Center of Excellence):
A functional organization dedicated to Group-wide human resource management.
*2HRBP (Human Resources Business Partner):
A staff member responsible for planning and execution of human resource strategies and measures associated with business and functional strategies; works with business sector Presidents and General Managers of corporate divisions.
|Target||Meeting to be monitored||Frequency|
|Each Mitsui Chemicals business site||Business site HR Managers’ Meeting||Once a month|
|Meeting of employees in charge of HR at domestic subsidiaries and affiliates||Twice a year|
|Meeting of HR managers from regional headquarters (the Americas, Europe, China and Asia-Pacific) (HRDAC)||Once or twice a year*2|
|Regional HR Meetings*1|
*1Comprehensive regular meetings for HR officers from each company in the region (the Americas, Europe, China, and Asia Pacific) to exchange information and promote HR measures specific to each region.
*2The meeting frequency varies depending on the region.
The state of compliance of HR management at sites and affiliated companies is being checked regularly with internal audits conducted by the Internal Control Division.
Goals and Results
This table is scrollable.
|Percentage of women among regular hires||Career-track administrative positions||Mitsui Chemicals, Inc. registered employees||40%||50%||◯||40%||─|
|Career-track technical positions||Mitsui Chemicals, Inc. registered employees||20%||14%||✕||20%||─|
|General positions||Mitsui Chemicals, Inc. registered employees||7%||7.1%||◯||7%||─|
|Ratio of women in management positions (manager-level or above)||Mitsui Chemicals, Inc. registered employees||4%||4%%||◯||5%||10％|
|Ratio of employees with disabilities||Mitsui Chemicals, Inc. registered employees||2.3%||2.4%||○||2.4%||─|
This table is scrollable.
|KPI||Scope||FY2020||FY2021||Medium to Long-term|
|Increase employee engagement||Mitsui Chemicals Group||Formulate the action plans||Action plan registration rate 96%||○||Global engagement score 36% or more （FY2018:31%)||Conduct the regular survey and implement action plans|