Risk and Compliance Management
Risk Prevention Measures
Our Risk Hotline enables any Group employee who has obtained information related to risks, including acts in violation of a law or regulation that have been or about to be committed within the Company, to directly report the matter to and seek advice from our Risk & Compliance Committee or an outside attorney. The hotline is open not only to directors, corporate auditors, and employees, but also to all parties with an interest in the Group’s business activities, including the families of directors, corporate auditors, employees, retired employees, contractors at our works or other sites, and suppliers. Any and all information related to risks received through the hotline is immediately and periodically reported to the Company’s corporate auditors, and important information is reported to the Company’s Board of Directors if necessary.
Apart from the Risk Hotline, we are operating a system by which a harassment consultant contact office is located at each of our business sites’ human resource division.
Reporting and Consultation Desk
[ Report and Consultation to the Company’s Risk & Compliance Committee ]
For the attention of:
The Secretariat, Risk & Compliance Committee
Corporate Administration & Legal Division
Mitsui Chemicals, Inc.,
Shiodome City Center, 1-5-2, Higashi-Shimbashi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-7122, Japan
[ Report and consultation to external contact [attorney] ]
For the attention of:
Mitsui Chemicals, Inc. Hotline
Daiichifuyo Law Office, Kasumigaseki Building 12F, Kasumigaseki, 3-2-5, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-6012, Japan
Target Case Studies
- Human Rights
- Employment Environment
- Environmental Contamination
- Compliance with Laws and Regulations
- Procedures Relating to Business Law
Operation of the risk hotlines
- Anonymous reports and requests for advice by letter or e-mail are accepted. However, please be aware that in the event that a person cannot be contacted by the Company’s Risk & Compliance Committee or an external contact, it may not be possible to fully understand the situation and take steps, such as conducting an appropriate investigation or implementing measures.
- The Group restricts the people who are able to view the e-mails and letters received by the Risk & Compliance Committee or the external point of contact to some members of the Secretariat of the Committee. Furthermore, those who are able to view the correspondence strictly observe confidentiality with regard to the name or position of the person making the report or seeking advice or with regard to the content of their report (including acts that would make it easy to ascertain the name or position of the person making the report or seeking advice, or the content of their report), which is not disclosed to anyone other than the minimum number of officers, employees, or attorneys required for the investigation. Internally stipulated regulations safeguard the information against further disclosure or leakage.
- The Group will keep confidential any information related to people who are cooperating in the investigation or information gained through the investigation from anyone who is not involved. However, information on reported and consulted cases may be notified to the Group’s directors, corporate auditors, and employees in a way that will not identify the person who reported or sought advice in order to educate the others and prevent recurrence.
- Any person who has reported, sought advice, or cooperated in an investigation is not subject to penalty as a result of making the report, seeing advice, or cooperating in the investigation. However, this does not apply to cases where the person who used the hotline to report or seek advice did so for the purpose of deceiving others, for example by deliberately conveying false information, or cases in which a report was made for the purpose of violating a law, regulation, etc., such as coercion or blackmail.
- A prompt and careful investigation will be conducted for all reports and consultations. If a legal or regulatory violation or a situation that may lead to such a violation is discovered, necessary corrective action, etc., will be taken properly. In addition, such corrective action, etc., is shared across the Group to ensure that a similar problem will not happen again within the Group.
Risk Hotline Operating Performance
Business Continuity Plans (BCPs)
Due to the ever-present risks, such as large-scale disasters, an outbreak of a critical infectious diseases and large-scale accident at a production site, the Company prepares for crises that may have serious consequences for the Group, has established a system to promptly and appropriately respond to each function, such as Head Office, production site or supply chain, and formulated a Business Continuity Plan (BCP) to fulfill its supply responsibility to customers.
For the BCP to be executed in the event of a major earthquake in the Tokyo Metropolitan area, the plan establishes certain systems and outlines that, in the event that the Company’s Head Office is unable to operate properly, its functions will be transferred to a main base such as the Osaka Works. Additionally an emergency headquarters will quickly establish a chain of command, and emergency customer response centers will be established to provide our customers with support quickly and effectively. BCPs have also been put in place in preparation for an outbreak of a critical infectious diseases and for a large-scale accident at a production site.
With regard to some of the important raw materials, we are purchasing from multiple sources and ensuring back-up sources to safeguard the supply chain, building a production system at multiple business sites for the Group’s main products, and maintaining a certain level of inventory.
For COVID-19 pandemic, which is still sweeping the world, we have created a BCP per division assuming all possible situations in order to ensure employee safety and our swift action for business continuity while implementing appropriate prevention measures against COVID-19.